Thursday, December 23, 2010

Homemade Eggnog

One of the popular Christmas drinks is rum and eggnog.  I've not been a big fan of it because I think store-bought eggnog tastes artificial.  There is something about it that leaves an aftertaste in my mouth.

When I was young and taking home-ec (before the days of not eating raw eggs), we learned how to make eggnog.  It was simple - beat one egg with a spoon of sugar and a bit of vanilla, add milk and drink.  Sometimes I would add cinnamon or nutmeg or both.  I would sometimes add ice cream so it was thicker.  As I grew older, I quit making the eggnog because it didn't have enough taste.

I belong to the Backyard Chickens Forum and Miss Prissy shared her eggnog recipes.  I adapted mine from hers.  http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=202168#p202168

Ingredients
12 eggs, separated
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
4 c (1 liter) half and half
4 c (1 liter) 2 % milk
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
nutmeg for sprinkling if desired

**optional - spiced rum if desired for extra zing for the adults

I used my Cuisinart and several large bowls to mix the eggnog.  Separate the eggs and dump egg whites in mixer bowl.


Beat the egg whites until stiff and slowly pour in 3/4 cup of the sugar while beating.  Gently move the egg whites to another bowl so you can reuse the mixer.


Notice how lovely the egg yolks from my girls are - none of those pale store bought yolks for us.  ;) 


Beat yolks until creamy and slowly pour in the other 3/4 cup of sugar.  The egg yolks will be thick and light yellow in color.  Mix in vanilla. 


Pour egg yolks into a large bowl. 


Add egg whites to bowl.


Fold egg whites into beaten yolks.


Sprinkle on nutmeg.


Pour in milk and cream and stir carefully.


Look at those lovely frothy clouds of goodness.


Pour into glasses.  Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.  Add spiced rum if desired.  Enjoy!


Miss Prissy used whole milk and heavy cream in her recipe but I think mine was rich enough.  Next time I would make a half recipe since it is so rich and creamy.  We each had 2 glasses of the eggnog because it was so good but now no one wants supper.  It was too filling.  I still have 2 1/2 containers in the fridge for later.  We'll see how it fares staying in the fridge to use another day.

PS:  The eggnog does lose its fluffiness sitting in the fridge but is still very tasty.  It also doesn't seem as filling.  When it is so foamy, the air that was beaten into the eggs had a filling effect on us all for a number of hours.  So I retract what I said about halving the recipe - its not needed.


To all my readers and friends - have a very Merry Christmas. 


2 comments:

  1. This is one recipe I hope to be trying next year with my own eggs. It looks really good!

    Merry Christmas!

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete