Monday, February 28, 2011

Lemon Squares Part 2

The next two recipes are quite similar.  They have the same shortbread crust and the fillings are similar as well.

The first recipe comes from http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/01/23/luscious-lemon-bars/ .  The only tweaking I did to the recipe was to put it in 2 9x9 pans instead of 1 9x13 pan.  My reasoning was that the ingredients for this recipe was basically double my regular lemon squares so I should be able to get twice as much instead of 1 1/2 times as much.  If you like thick squares - go with the 9x13 pan otherwise go with two pans like I did.

Luscious Lemon Bars


Ingredients
Crust
2 c flour
1 c butter or marg
1/2 c icing sugar
Filling
4 eggs       
2 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 c lemon juce

Icing sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 - 9x9 pans . 
Crust
Combine flour and icing sugar and cut in butter or marg.   Pat into pan.  Bake 20 minutes.
Filling
I combine the dry ingredients with the sugar so I don't have to worry about lumps.  Beat the eggs and add the rest of the ingredients.  Pour over hot crust.  Bake 25 minutes.  Cool then sprinkle with icing sugar, if desired.  Cut into squares. I cut each pan into 25 squares to get a total of 50 squares.

In the original recipe she cuts her 9x13 pan into 24 squares.  I prefer smaller squares because you can always have two if you want or you might want to try several different kinds.  If the squares are smaller, you can sample more varieties. ;)


=======================================================================

This recipe is my regular lemon square recipe.  I received it years ago from a friend and it is an old standby in my house.

Lemon Squares


Ingredients
Crust
1 c flour
1/4 c icing sugar
1/2 c butter or marg
Filling
2 eggs
1 c sugar
4 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 c coconut

Crust
Mix together until crumbly.  Pat into a greased 9x9 pan.  Bake for 20 minutes in a 350F oven.
Filling
Beat eggs and add sugar, lemon juice and coconut.  Pour over baked crust and bake for 25 minutes more.  Sift icing sugar on top when cool.  Cut into squares.  Again I get 25 squares from a 9x9 pan.


Trying these two recipes, I think I'll stick with my regular one because I like the addition of the coconut.  Otherwise, as I previously mentioned, they are very similar in taste and appearance.


2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Southern California

    I added myself to follow your blog.
    Please visit mine and follow back if you want too.

    God bless you :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, The Portuguese honey definitely has a distinct flavour from the eucalyptus but it's certainly not what I would consider strong.

    Those bars look dee-licious!

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete