Monday, July 4, 2011

Iced Coffee

I am not a big coffee drinker.  I very seldom make myself a pot of coffee.  I will drink a cup or two if I'm out visiting or in a restaurant.  I do like the iced coffees and cappuccinos that are offered especially during the summer months.  And I especially like the ones with whipped cream, ice cream, caramel, etc. - they are heavenly but must be about a million calories each.

So one day I decided to make my own lo-cal easy-peasy version.  Start by brewing a large pot of coffee.  I used 3 heaping scoops for 12 cups of water (which is stronger than we usually make it).


I also used decaf so I can drink it any time of the day.


Pour the coffee into a container to cool the cover and refrigerate.


When coffee is cold, several hours or the next day (if you are planning ahead and in no hurry), fill a large glass with ice cubes.


Fill the glass to a couple of inches from the top with cold coffee.


Fill the glass with soy milk - I drink vanilla soy so used it.  Now I usually take lots of cream and sugar with my coffee for it to be drinkable but I find that I don't need to add sugar to my iced coffee. 


Stir and enjoy.  I find it very refreshing and tasty.  And my hips and thighs thank me for not using whipping cream, ice cream, or caramel or chocolate syrup (although all of those would give a very decadent treat).


I've been thinking of trying chocolate soy milk next time.  It would give it a mocha taste and still be lo-cal compared to chocolate syrup.  Enjoy!  ;)





1 comment:

  1. Oh, how yummy does that look right about now. I make decaf sun tea all summer long but never thought about making coffee to have on hand like this. I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete